Governorship Election Postponed. INEC has postponed Governorship Election which was initially scheduled for 11th March 2023.
Kindly share with the whatsapp share button below this article. If you have any enquiries, let us know in the comment section
About INEC Postponed Governorship Election
- A local court has on Wednesday 8th March 2023 approved INEC’s request to reset the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) machines which were used in the Nigeria elections to make it more transparent.
- The court ruling however came late for the machines to be reset on time for use in the March 11th governorship elections, hence a one-week extension has been made.
- INEC spokesman Festus Okoye has explained as follows : “This decision has not been taken lightly but it was necessary to ensure that there is adequate time to back up the data stored on the over 176,000 BVAS machines from the Presidential and National Assembly elections and reconfigure them for the governorship election.
Reasons Why INEC Governorship Election Postponed
- The reason for the Governorship Election Postponement is logistics challenges. The spokesperson of INEC announced on Wednesday, citing logistics challenges.
- The shift in date is to allow more time for voting machines used in the presidential elections to be reconfigured and deployed for the governorship election.
- The gubernatorial election which is part of Nigeria’s general elections allows for a four-year single term.
New Date For Governorship Election
- The new Governorship Election Date 2023 is 18th March 2023
- The election for new governors for Nigeria’s 36 states is now to be held on March 18th 2023.