The College of Engineering of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), has received funding from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to support African countries unlock socioeconomic benefits through climate actions. KNUST therefore seeks to apply part of this funding to deliver high quality postgraduate training, conduct and disseminate applied research focused on addressing development challenges related to sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, productive uses of energy and climate change. Applications are therefore invited from qualified candidates for admission into the following doctorate degree programmes at the College of Engineering of Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).
KNUST 3 Year Full-Time PhD programmes
- PhD Bioengineering
- PhD Food and Postharvest Engineering
- PhD Sustainable Energy Technologies
UNEP PhD KNUST Admission Requirements:
- A minimum of Second Class (Upper Division) in first degree and;
- A Master’s degree in relevant field with an average of at least 60% preferably in Agricultural & Biosystems / Bioresources Engineering and related programmes, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Electrical & Mechanical Engineering, Renewable Energy Engineering or related programmes.
- Applicants must be more than 40 years by 1st August, 2020.
- Candidates from non-Anglophone countries must have an internationally recognised Certificate of Proficiency in the English Language (TOEFL or British Council, IELTS) with above average score or be available to attend a three (3) months English language course at KNUST.
- Preference would be given to candidates with at least one publication in a journal as first author and candidates with strong modeling background.
- Candidates must provide evidence of current and previous employments.
- Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply to take advantage of the funding opportunities available.
UNEP PhD Application Procedures
Sale of E-Vouchers/Forms for admission is ongoing.
- Start by purchasing an eVoucher by paying an application fee of Two Hundred and Fifty Ghana Cedis (GH¢250.00) at GCB, Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG) or Ecobank.
- International Applicants visit >> International Applicants Portal to generate logins and apply online
- International applicants who gain admission will be required to pay an application fee of USD 200.00 before registration.
- You will receive an eVoucher containing an application number and PINthat will grant access to the online admissions portal.
- Afterwards proceed to the KNUST online admissions portal to begin the online application process.
- Afterwards PRINT OUT 2 COPIES of the completed application form from the online application portal and submit them (by post) to the School of Graduate Studies together with the following:
- Two passport sized photographs
- Detailed CV and two letters of reference (one from a supervisor at the Master’s level)
- Official transcripts and certificates for BSc and MSc degrees
- Proof of ability to communicate in English for Candidates from non-Anglophone countries
- Soft and hard copies of a letter of motivation (max. 2 pages) with the heading outlining why you want to study, what makes you well-suited to study in your chosen specialisation, current occupation, how the programme will fit into your professional vision, how your (home) country stands to benefit after your training.
- Soft and hard copies of a short concept note (max. 3 pages) outlining the justification, objectives, methodology and expected outcomes of a research idea.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend a selection interview. The date of the interview will be communicated after short listing. Only candidates who successfully gain admission will be notified subsequently.
- ELECTRONIC COPIES of completed application forms and supporting documents should be sent to [email protected] for your application to be considered.
- For inquiries, email: [email protected] or visit the website, [email protected]
Deadline for submission of application forms is 30th June, 2020.