Here is the new school reopening date as announced by the president in the 16th national address on the measure taken by the government to curb the spread of the COVID-19 outbreak in the country. You can check summary of the 16th national address here. Below is the reopening date and modalities for reopening of Junior High Schools (JHS) and Senior High Schools (SHS):
New School Reopening Date For SHS And JHS
- JHS 2 and SHS 2 students are to resume on 5th October 2020. Thus SHS 2 and JHS 2 students to return to school from 5 October to 14th December 2020 to complete their academic year.
- JHS to operate with a class size of 30 and SHS to operate with a class size of 25. The president also highlighted that, JHS 2 and SHS 2 will have 10 weeks to prepare for their examination.
- Junior High Schools are to operate with class sizes of thirty (30), and Senior High Schools with class sizes of twenty-five (25)
- SHS 2 and JHS 2 students will be in school for ten (10) weeks to study, and write their end of term examinations.
- SHS 2 students in boarding houses are to return to their various dormitories on 5 October, whilst day students, respecting fully the COVID-19 protocols, will commute from home to their respective schools on the same date.
- Prior to reopening, all Junior and Senior High Schools will be fumigated and disinfected. Just as was done in the case of final year university, JHS and SHS students, all JHS 2 and SHS 2 students, as well as all teaching and non – teaching staff, will be given reusable face masks. Each School will be provided with Veronica Buckets, gallons of liquid soap, rolls or tissue paper, thermometer guns, and 200 mils containers of sanitizers. JHS 2 students will be given one hot meal a
- The Ghana Education Service, after further consultations, has decided to postpone the remainder of the academic year for all nursery, kindergarten, primary, JHS 1 and SHS 1 students. The next academic year will resume in January 2021, with appropriate adjustments made to the curriculum, to ensure that nothing is lost from the previous year. The relevant dispositions will also be made so that the presence, at the same time, in school of all streams of students, can occur in safety.