The African Development Bank (AfDB) invites applications from qualified persons for the position of Culture and Employee Engagement Officer.
The Position’s Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Policy and Compliance Officer and under the overall supervision of the Manager – Staff Training and Development, the Culture and Employee Engagement Officer will:
- Lead bank-wide initiatives to promote a value-driven, professional and ethical work environment and promote healthy working relationships between employees and their supervisors.
- Coordinate all activities relating to employee engagement, culture and leadership so that the Bank proactively promotes leadership and staff behaviors that support the vision of the Bank to be an employer of choice, able to attract, reward and retain top talent through both monetary and non-monetary mechanisms.
- Drive all initiatives to ensure the Bank’s values are lived at all levels especially in the management of people to create a workplace and culture that upholds the values of the organization.
Reporting to the Policy and Compliance Officer, the Culture and Employee Engagement Officer will undertake the following key responsibilities:
- Develop and execute proactive employee relations initiatives that set up, reinforce and maintain optimal relationships between staff and management in the Bank.
- Manage employee engagement surveys and facilitate development of Bank-wide initiatives in order to continuously enhance the people management skills and capabilities of the Bank. Accordingly, coordinate the Bank-wide action planning process to address employee engagement issues.
- Provide or coordinate staff counseling on culture and work relationships as may be required from time to time; or where additional support is needed beyond the HR Business Partner support.
- Provide expert support and guidance to all staff and HR Business Partners in the area of employee relations.
- In liaison with the Leadership and Employee Development Officer, contribute to the development and implementation of leadership training programs in view of culture and engagement needs of the Bank. Accordingly, develop and support the delivery of learning and talent development interventions (e.g. stress management, emotional intelligence, etc), working with and seeking input from other teams as required.
- Work with the Talent Management & Mobility Officer, coordinate women mentoring programs implementation Bank wide, and act as Gender focal point for the Department.
- Collaborate with units which provide support, advice and assistance in resolving conflicts, grievances and ethical issues including the Staff Council, Ombudsman, Ethics Office and Staff Appeals Committee
- In liaison with the Total Rewards Officer & Performance Management Officer, develop or provide input in the design and implementation of motivational and employee reward programs.
- Design long-term strategies, interventions and programs to develop the health and culture of the organisation to promote and achieve a culture of performance, service excellence and employee engagement.
- Develop and manage annual budgets and proposals, timelines and creative design to increase employee engagement and to sustain the employee culture.
- Oversee the overall production of internal communications, events and program materials for the purpose of communicating critical information to employees. Accordingly, coordinate the department’s communication activities, including the regular publication of the internal newsletter; ensuring all corporate communications reach multi-generations, diverse employees, and various categories of staff
- Develop employee recognition strategies to include reviewing, evaluating and making recommendations for departmental recognition programs; in liaison with the Total Rewards Officer and Performance Management Officer.
- Lead ongoing analysis of key data relating to employee retention and exit trends and prepare reports and recommendations to management based on this data. Accordingly, analyze facts in support of early detection of problems and advise management on remedial and preventive actions.
- Collect timely data to support business initiatives through focus groups, staff surveys, town halls, one-on-one interviews, and other methodology; and evaluate and apply the data to support decisions.
- Strategically collaborate with and build relationships across business functions and liaison with the HR Business Partners to ensure standardization and corporate compliance of Bank-wide initiatives
- Research, evaluate and select best practices that can be implemented to promote a value-driven culture of high performance among staff.
- Measure, assess, and report on the effectiveness of engagement programs to ensure they are delivering results aligned with defined success criteria. Refine strategies and develop new solutions to improve the employee experience.
Requirements / Selection Criteria
- At least a Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, Law, Social Science or in a relevant discipline related to the responsibilities described above.
- Additional qualifications in organizational change/ development, culture or coaching will be an added advantage.
- Have at least five (5) years of relevant and practical experience in Human Resources Management, staff and/or legal counselling, with at least 3 years of experience in handling training and capacity building activities
- Practical experience in staff coaching and counseling
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage
- Communication and ability to interact effectively with staff members at all levels (being able to handle staff personal and confidential issues directly during one-on-one interviews)
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment as a team player with excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to be discrete and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Effective advisory skills with analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions for reporting purposes
- Ability to facilitate training sessions.
- Client Orientation
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
Mode Of Application
The mode of application is online. To apply, visit the African Development Bank (AfDB) website here.