The Ministry of Food and Agriculture in collaboration with the Market Oriented Agriculture Programme is recruiting for National Long-Term Expert for Agricultural Inputs and Crop Protection Extension.
The Market Oriented Agriculture Programme in the North-West of Ghana (MOAP-NW) is implemented jointly with the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA) in 14 districts (all 11 districts of the Upper West Region. plus two districts of Sawla-Tuna-KaIba and North Gonja inthe Savannah Region and one district of Mamprugu Moagduri in North East Region). The programme supports the following value chains: Sorghum and Rice, Groundnut and Soya, Cashew and Mango, and Vegetables. MOAP’s objective is to improve the quality of agricultural produce and to strengthen the competitiveness of agro-based value chains.
Scope Of The Recruitment
The National Long-Term Expert (NLTE) for Agricultural Inputs and Crop Protection Extension will work under the MOAP Programme Outputs focusing on private sector development. The NLTE will be part of the technical team based in Wa. The work focuses on the network of inputs suppliers, building their capacity to provide technically sound and professional services.
It cuts across the seven value chains regarding good agricultural practices, inputs supply and crop protection. There will be close interaction with other components of the EU Programme for Productive Agriculture in the Northern Savannah Ecological Zone. As a specific responsibility, the NLTE will contribute to the realisation of the following key indicator:
“65% of clients of 50 selected agro-input dealers who provide agricultural advice are satisfied with the quality of the service”
- Design of a programme for agro-input dealers, in all 14 districts covered by MOAP to become points of agricultural advice
- Design of a programme for ensuring the introduction and uptake of use. by smallholder farmers, of neem-based products for the control of agricultural pests and diseases
- Design of a programme to provide effective pest management support across the seven focus value chains of MOAB and the introduction with farmers of key pest / disease management regimes
- Produce a written report for each activity (“project”) for which the NLTE has been assigned. If activity (“project”) stretches over more than a month, provide monthly progress reports,
- B.Sc./M.Sc in Agriculture, Agricultural Technology, Agricultural Sciences; ideally with specialisations in both soil sciences and crop protection
- At least 3 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- Very good understanding of agricultural development issues
- Excellent product knowledge of agricultural inputs used and potentially important for use in production in the focus seven value chains for MOAP in North-West Ghana
- Good knowledge on the safe and effective use of pesticides
- Sound knowledge on Integrated Pest Management
- Knowledge of the production and utilisation of natural pesticides, particularly those derived from neem (Azadirachta indica Juss)
- Strong experience in agricultural value chain development and effective collaboration with the private and public sector
- Experience with results-based monitoring and report writing
- Experience with working in a multi-cultural environment, with good interpersonal relationship and negotiation skills
- Good working knowledge of the Upper West, Savannah and North-East Regions of Ghana
- Willingness to travel frequently within the intervention area
- Fluent written and oral knowledge of English & oral proficiency of one or more local languages of North-West Ghana
Mode Of Application And Deadline
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application not later than 15th November, 2019,
consisting of a cover letter and an updated CV. Women are especially encouraged to apply.
These documents shall be sent to: [email protected]
All in one detailed national service procedures guide. Read More.
NTC Licensure Exams Results To Be Released Last Week In November. Read More.
National Teaching Council to roll out In-service Teacher Licence at GH¢200. Read More.
All in one passport application guide. Contains every detail about the the various Ghana passport application processes since its inception. Read More
Application procedures used for the initial recruitment. Read More.
GES Non Teaching Staff Application procedures. Read More.