This article contains: TIN number registration procedures such as TIN number registration online, how to apply for TIN number online, How to apply for TIN number through email, Manual TIN number registration procedures, how to download and fill the tin number registration form, How to verify your TIN number with tin number checker, What to do if you lost your TIN number, How to know if your TIN number is ready, How long it takes to get my your TIN number, Why you need a TIN number, Tin number registration eligibility and who qualifies to apply for a tax identification number in Ghana as well as Tin number registration requirements for individuals and businesses.
Kindly share this article to inform others. There is a whatsapp share button below this article. If you have any enqiuiries, let us know in the comment section.
- How To Register For Income TAX
- How To Register for VAT
- Print And Track Ghana Passport Application Progress
- Online Ghana Passport Application, Renewal And Replacement Procedures
About The Taxpayer Identification Number ( TIN )
The Taxpayer Identification Number ( TIN ) is an exclusive Identification number generated and issued by the Ghana Revenue Authority to taxpayers and potential taxpayers including corporate entities upon application, for official transactions and to widen the tax net for domestic revenue generation..
TIN Number Registration is provisioned by the Revenue Administration Act 2016, (Act 915) which allows for issuance of the Tax Identification Number to individuals and organization. In accordance with the Revenue Administration Act 2016, (Act 915), a person shall show the TIN number in any claim, declaration,statement, notice, return, or other documents used for the purpose of a tax law.
Issuance of Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) numbers in Ghana has been a very successful process, The Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) has issued over a million TIN Numbers since the introduction of the TIN Number Registration and application both online and manual. In 2017 Over 258,000 new TIN numbers representing 68% more were issued compared to the same period in 2016. By 2018 and 2019 over two million TIN numbers have been issued.
All individuals and organisations who have any dealings with the GRA are mandated to have a TIN number. The law which mandates the GRA to issue TIN numbers to all citizens was passed in 2011 and adequate measures were put in place to ensure that the general public could easily acquire a TIN number.
Why You Need A TIN Number
Since April 1, 2018, an individual or entity cannot obtain a tax clearance certificate from the GRA, open a bank account, file a case in court, acquire a Ghanaian passport, obtain a driving licence, register a vehicle at the Driver and Vehicles Licensing Authority , clear goods in commercial quantities from the ports or register any land without a TIN number. In addition, individual or entities cannot register a company at the Registrar General’s Department, obtain payment for jobs done for government or bid for a contract in any government agency.
You can also not file a complaint at the court, so in case you are duped, ejected by a property owner or any other issue requiring that you file a complaint at the court for justice, you will not be able to do it without a TIN number.
TIN Number Registration Eligibility; Who Qualifies To apply for a Tax Identification Number in Ghana
TIN Number can be obtained by all individuals or entities such as employees, employers and businesses who are liable to pay taxes to the Ghana government.
By GRA standards the following people can register for a Tax Identification Number:
- Any Ghanaian who is of 18 years and above.
- Any individual or entity who earns taxable income in Ghana
- Any individual or entity who wants to clear goods in commercial quantities the port
- Any individual or entity who wants to register a land
- Any individual or entity who Requires a Tax Clearance Certificate
- Any individual or entity who wants to register a business at the Registrar-Generals Department
- Any individual or entity who Requires a Permit from a District Assembly
- Any individual or entity who Intends to receive a payment from the Controller and Accountant-Generals Department
TIN Number Registration Requirements For Individuals And Businesses
TIN Number Registration Requirements For Individuals
- Personal Details such as your First Name. Last Name
- Contact addresses including a working email Address
- Occupation such as Applicants occupation.
- Work Permit number if you are a Non-Resident and on a work visa.
- Bank Account details
- Employer Details
- A Scanned colour copy of a valid (not expired) identity document (ID Card in the format of pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif and not more than 1mb in size) for verification.
- Valid IDs for the TIN number registration online are a valid Ghana Driving License, valid Voters ID Card or a valid National Identity Card.
- A valid identity card (National ID Card, Voters Card, Driving License or Passport), together with the original ID itself if you are registering manually.
TIN Number Registration Requirements For Businesses
For companies you will need documents such as:
- Certificate or letters of business registration
- Business Details. To be completed for all applications by sole traders, partners, beneficiaries and investment income earners (but not salary/wage earners, directors or pensioners)
- Details of Partners/Directors and details of other Related Companies
- certificate of incorporation,
- commencement certificate,
- partnership certificate,
- external company letter
TIN NUMBER REGISTRATION PROCEDURES; HOW TO APPLY FOR TIN
1. Manual Application; How To Download And Fill The TIN Number Registration Form
You can go to any GRA Domestic Tax Revenue Division office to complete a TIN number registration form by following these steps:
Step 1: Visit A GRA Domestic Tax Revenue Division Office To Begin The Application Process
- Visit any GRA of Domestic Tax Revenue Division office in your region and request for a TIN Registration form.
- You will be provided with an Individual or Sole-proprietors TIN registration Form or a Business or Organization TIN registration form depending on the whether you are registering TIN number for an individual of a business.
Step 2: Fill And Submit The TIN Registration form
- Read carefully through the instructions on the form and fill all required details such as business details, Details of Partners/Directors and details of other Related Companies you can request for assistance from the Taxpayer Services Unit of the office.
- Afterwards Complete the application form and attach the required documents such as Certificate or letters of business registration , certificate of incorporation, commencement certificate, partnership certificate, external company letter and submit to the revenue officer.
- If it is a Business TIN forms submit it to the Regional General Department (RGD) .
Step 3: Wait For Collection of Your TIN number
- After submitting your TIN Number registration form, you will receive your TIN Number within 14 days.
- You can check back at the Domestic Tax Revenue Division office you submitted your TIN Number registration form, after 14 days.
Download TIN Registration Form PDF
You can as well download the TIN Registration Form PDF below;
- Download TIN Registration Form PDF for individuas; click to download Individual or Sole-proprietors TIN registration Form pdf
- Download TIN Registration Form PDF for businesses; click to download Business or Organization TIN registration form pdf
2. TIN Registration Online; How to Apply for TIN Number Online
The TIN registration online has been made possible by GRA’s new computerised tax system by name ” tripsTM “. The tripsTM platform is a software for tax administration, an initiative of the Ghana Community Network Services Limited (GCNet) for the Government of Ghana. The Total Revenue Integrated Processing Systems (tripsTM) operates in 67 tax offices across GRA Domestic Tax Revenue Division office. The system supports tax administration functions such as Registration, Returns Processing, Automated Compliance, Collections, Taxpayer Accounting, Revenue Accounting, Refunds, Risk Management, Case Management, Audit, Objections and Appeals.
The tripsTM software has helped broaden the tax-base and facilitated the issuance of Tax Identification Numbers (TINs).
The deployment of tripsTM was part of the e-Government solution developed and deployed for the Ghana Revenue Authority and the Registrar General’s Department in 2011.
How to Apply for TIN Number Online
To get yout TIN Number Online, you have to complete a simple form Online. After a successful registration you will get an email from GRA. You will receive an SMS from GRA informing you when your certificate ready for collection from your local Domestic Tax Revenue Division office.
In the case of online TIN application, you will need a scanned colour copy of a valid national ID (pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif). The acceptable IDs for the online registration are Voter ID, Driver License or National Identification Card.
Step 1: Create Your TIN Registration Credentials
- Start by visiting the Ghana Revenue Authority TIN Number Registration portal; gra.gov.gh
- Then Select an ID Card type from the “Select Type Of Identity for verification” field. Note that you cannot type in the “First Name” “Middle Name”, “Last Name” and “Email” field until you have verified your Identity by providing a valid ID card number and uploading scanned colour copy of document(pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif and not more than 1mb in size). Also if you choose a National Identification Authority ID Card then the TIN registration process is automatic and you will receive an email notification within a minute confirming your registration was successful. If you choose a Voters ID or Drivers Licence, a GRA officer will have to vet your documentation before a TIN is issued.
- After Selecting an ID Card type which is either National ID card, Voters ID or Drivers licence, a field shows for you to enter your Enter ID Card No. Just enter the ID number on the card.
- The ID card is then checked against online database to see if it is valid, if it is valid you will see “Your ID Card Number has been validated successfully” on your screen if it not valid you will see “Your ID card Has Not Been Validated” on your screen.
- Afterwards, Click on the “Add” Button to upload a scanned colour copy of your ID card in pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif format. The file size must not be more than 1mb in size.
- Then Select the scanned file on your device and click ‘Open’ to load it. and Click “Upload”.
- Afterwards click Register, the “First Name” “Middle Name”, “Last Name” and “Email” fields will then be activated for you to type your “First Name” “Middle Name”, “Last Name” and “Email” , and to choose a password in then submit.
- Afterwards wait for the form to be submitted
- Once the name, email and ID have been validated you will see a Success Message on the screen. You can then click on the button to view or print a copy of your submitted details as shown below.
- Then Wait for an email to be sent to the email you provided above. The email contains a link to follow to progress to Step 2 of the TIN Registration.
Step 2: The TIN Registration Process
- Click on the url contained in the email received at the end of Step in step 1, as shown below
- Afterwards, a page will show up for you to enter the Email and Password you used in step 1 and click Register.
- Afterwards, the TIN Registration Details Pages shows up, correctly fill and save details in the the various tabs, by entering your Personal Details, Tax Information, Identification Information, Address Details, Employment Details and Contact Details at the end of each Tab click on “Save and Proceed”.
- Click on the SUBMIT button after filling TIN Registration Details.
- Afterward, you will receive a success message saying your submission was successful and has been sent for approval by a revenue officer.
- You will then receive an SMS containing your TIN number within 14 days when your tin number is ready.
- You will then have to visit your designated GRA Office to pick your TIN Certificate
3. Through Email; How to Apply for TIN Number Through Email
You can as well apply for a TIN number through email by downloading and filling a TIN Registration form and emailing your completed form to [email protected]. You can as well take it to your local Domestic Tax Revenue Division office .
How To Verify Your Tax Identification Number With TIN Number Checker
You can verify your Tax Identification Number with the TIN Number Checker in the steps below :
- Visit the TIN Number Checker website here; Check your TIN(Validation)
- Afterwards enter your TIN number provided you by GRA
- Then click on enter if your TIN number is invalid, ” Invalid TIN number” will show on the screen
- If your TIN number is valid, ” Valid TIN number” will show on the screen
What To Do If You Lost Your TIN Number
If you lose your TIN you will have to get a replacement certificate at any GRA Domestic Tax Revenue Division (DTRD) office. nationwide and providing your full name,
date of birth, and the number of the ID you used to get your TIN (e.g. Voters ID, Passport, etc.), You can as well forward this information through WhatsApp to 0200631664 or 0552990000 or email to [email protected],
How To Know If Your TIN Is Ready
GRA will send you an SMS containing your TIN number and then you can go and collect your certificate from your Domestic Tax Revenue Division office.
How Long Will It Take To Get Your TIN Number
By GRA Law the TIN registration is to be processed and the TIN number issued within 21 days maximum. You would therefore get your TIN certificate within 21 days maximum.
What To Do if You Don’t Receive Your TIN Number:
If you do not receive your TIN number 21 days after registration do the following;
- Visit a GRA Domestic Tax Revenue Division office near you and make a complaint.
- You can as well email your complain to GRA Head Office
- or WhatsApp your complaint to to 0200631664 or 0552990000.
How Does The TIN Number Look Like
The TIN is an eleven digit identification number generated and issued to taxpayers to ensure tax compliance and to identify taxpayers and enable the GRA to credit them whenever they pay their taxes. The GRA TIN numbers allows for proper monitoring and broaden the tax net to cater for those formally outside the tax net.
Fees Required For TIN Number Registration
The application for a TIN number is completely free of charge.
Validity Of TIN Number
The TIN number is valid as long as the individual or entity lives. In essence it does not require renewal and does not expire.
TIN Number Registration For Companies And Individuals
Both Individuals and Organisations can register for a TIN Number.
TIN Number Registration For Individuals
Individuals can do the TIN registration online or offline manually by registering directly with the GRA.
TIN Number Registration For Organisations
A number of organisations can register for TIN number through the Registrar-General’s Department and will be issued automatically with a TIN number meant for Companies With Shares, Companies Limited by Guarantee, Partnerships, External Companies or Subsidiary Business Name.
All other organisation types can register directly with the GRA on these terms; Individuals and Companies may register for a Portal Account, however only individuals may have the ability to log on directly to the Portal. If a Company wishes to make use of the GRA online services it must nominate one or more Individual Portal Users to act on its behalf through the process known as “Association”. An individual can also nominate one or more Individuals to act on their behalf through the “Association” process.
If at a point, a Company or Individual Portal Account Holder wishes to cease the “Association” with an Individual Portal User they would have to inform the GRA immediately for a “Disassociation” process.
Uses Of Tin Number; Why You Need A TIN Number
You will need a TIN number in order to be able to Clear goods at the port, Register your land with the Lands Commission. Obtain a tax clearance certificate from GRA, Open a bank account, Register your company at the Registrars General’s Department or at a District Assembly office, Bid for contracts from a government agency, Receive any payment from the Controller and Accountant General or a District Assembly relating to a contract for the supply of any goods or provisions of any services to government institutions or conduct business with the Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies, Obtain payment for contracts done for the government, File a case at the courts, Obtain a passport from the passport office, Obtain a drivers license and register your vehicle at the DVLA, Conduct business with the Ministries, Departments, and Agencies
GRA Contact And Office Location Nationwide
You can contact the GRA should you need any assistance through the following contact details;
- Telephone : 0800900102 or 0302904545/904546
- Whatsapp : 0200631664 or 0552990000
- Email : [email protected]
- Customs Helpline : 0242435662 / 3 (contact on issues on customs validation and classifications)
- Physical Address: Off Starlets’ 91 Road, near Accra Sports Stadium
- Digital Address : GA -144-3422
- Postal Address: P. O. Box 2202,Accra-Ghana
GRA Office Location Nationwide
|GRA TIN Number Registration Regional ffices||Location / Directions|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Greater Accra Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Ashanti Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Brong-Ahafo Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Central Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Eastern Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Western Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number RegistrationVolta Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Upper East Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Upper West Region Regional Offices||View Location|
|GRA TIN Number Registration Northern Regio Regional Offices||View Location|
- How To Register For Income TAX
- How To Register for VAT
- Print And Track Ghana Passport Application Progress
- Online Ghana Passport Application, Renewal And Replacement Procedures