The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
Kindly share with the Whatsapp button below this page. If you have any enqiuiries, let us know in the comment section. You can join our Whatsapp Group For Government (Public Sector) Job Vacancies Alert. >>> Government Job Vacancies Alert Whatsapp Group <<<
WFP has been present in Ghana since 1963. Our interventions in the country focus on direct food assistance using vouchers to improve the nutritional status of targeted populations, in line with national targets. WFP also aims to ensure vulnerable communities benefit from efficient and resilient food systems which support nutritional value chains, capacity strengthening interventions to manage food security, nutrition and social protection programmes and the Advocacy and coherent policy frameworks support to key cooperating partners.
Following the outbreak of COVID-19, the Government of Ghana introduced measures to contain the virus and mitigate its impacts. The epicentres of the pandemic were Accra in Greater Accra Region and Kumasi in Ashanti region. The immediate national focus was strengthening the healthcare system to cope with the spread of the virus while establishing measures to cushion the socio-economic impacts. As part of WFP’s Socio-Economic Response Plan for COVID-19, WFP collaborated with the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection to provide cash-based transfers to COVID-19 affected daily wage earners and smallholder farmers in epicentres to enable them to meet their immediate food and nutrition needs.
Oversight of the operations in the Ashanti region is from Accra and that for the Northern region from Tamale.
Join us to make a difference! Watch this video to know more about us!!
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
At this position, you will lead and manage the Tamale Field Office to ensure the effective and efficient management of human and financial resources and delivery of WFP programs and activities. A large emphasis is placed upon building and maintaining relationships with local governments, UN agencies and other partners in the area to reinforce WFP’s visibility.
ROLE AND RESPONSABILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director /Head of Programme and the overall supervision of the Country Director/Representative, the position holder will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Manage and lead WFP field operations within the area of assignment to ensure timely and effective deployment of food assistance programs.
- Hold accountability for the deployment of CO initiatives, policies and strategies.
- Effectively manage the Field Office to ensure transparent and efficient people management and the continued development of a cohesive and high performing team.
- Ensure efficient use of financial resources for achievement of set objectives.
- Hold accountability for the security of WFP staff, operations, premises, and assets in the Field Office to ensure that WFP security and safety standards are locally set and followed. Actively participate and contribute to the Area Security Management Team (ASMT).
- Collaborate with governments and other partners in identifying where food assistance can be usefully deployed at the local level and provide support and technical expertise for the planning, formulation and implementation of food assistance programmes, including advice on the context-specific transfer modalities (food, cash or vouchers).
- Develop and coordinate data gathering and monitoring systems and conduct timely monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Hold accountability and/or prepare accurate and comprehensive analysis and reports on WFP operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Area/Country Office review to identify programme support requirements and inform operational planning and decisions.
- Forge and nurture external partnerships to improve assistance packages and support complementary strategies; identify potential areas for collaborative approaches and initiatives.
- Develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, donors, civil society, beneficiaries and other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
- Engage with beneficiaries, inspect storage places and points where WFP commodities are received, in order to ensure compliance with WFP policies and that progress is made in the achievement of project objectives.
- Other as required
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced University degree in Economics, International Development, Social Sciences or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Have 5 years or more of postgraduate professional experience in a relevant field of work, with a background and interest in international humanitarian development.
- Has developed, or supported in the development of, multi-discipline work plans to support the achievement of WFP strategic aims within a defined area.
- Has gained experience in field operations, preferably in a hardship duty station or emergency situation.
- Has field experience via field rotations or working in a sub-office, and through field postings.
- Gained experience of analysing political situations, assessing risk accurately and supporting managers and leaders in decision making that is sensitive to this.
- Gained broader exposure across areas within a function (i.e. policy, programme etc.)
- Has gained experience managing mid-size financial budgets, balancing multiple priorities effectively.
- Has experience leading a mid-size to large team to ensure the effective delivery of objectives.
- Participated in a vendor/government/ partner negotiation in support of broad function or Country Office requirements.
- Participated in a moderately complex emergency operation/ development programme.
- Has experience with security co-ordination and compound management within a mid-size area.
- An asset would be experience within WFP, UN system, or similar NGO.
- Fluency level C in English (Mandatory)
Application Procedures : How To Apply
- Interested and qualified persons should visit the : Recruitment Portal.
- Then read through the job offer
- Afterwards click on the apply button
- Then fill the Recruitment form
- Then click on the submit button to submit
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Closing Date : 26 May. 2021